Word of Life Lutheran School

The Lindenwood Neighborhood has been blessed with a variety of public and private schools.  Previous newsletters have featured a history of Lindenwood School and Epiphany of Our Lord School.  This issue will feature Word of Life School which has its primary campus on the Timothy Lutheran Church grounds.

A Christian day school was opened at Timothy Lutheran in September 1943 with 22 pupils in Kindergarten and the first four grades. Mr. Paul Bachman was the first teacher.

In 1953 the congregation voted to close its school, but an arrangement was made with neighboring Lutheran congregations in which Timothy Church would pay the tuition for students attending their schools.

In 1974, after several years of planning, Timothy church joined with Ascension Lutheran Church in St. Louis Hills and  Concordia Church in Maplewood to establish Word of Life Lutheran School.

Mr. Arthur Hemler was the first principal.  School classes were divided between the Ascension and Maplewood sites at first.  In 1982 Concordia congregation dropped out of the association, and St. Lucas joined.

Today, Word of Life is comprised of three campuses:

St. Lucas Campus 7100 Morganford Preschool ages 3-5

Timothy Campus 6704 Fyler Preschool ages 3-5

Ascension Campus 6535 Eichelberger

Kindergarten – 8th grade